Sunday, November 19, 2017

The Traveling Couch's

On the way to my speaking engagement this morning we had to take our oldest daughter to our home church down the street.  But what we forgot is that the fainting couch was in the van and we didn't have time to take her in the car.  Welcome to our world. The conversation that ensued:

Julia:  "Where am I supposed to sit?  This is illegal."
Me:  "Sorry Babe, it's just a few blocks."
Shane:  "It's fine, it will be fun!  Think of it like a missions trip!"  

It is true - our kids are missionary kids, we are on a trip, so it is a missions trip! And then for the next couple of blocks he tells us a story of his youth pastor days.  Julia arrived safely at our neighborhood church, and we were on the road with one less Couch, and I was feeling a little less guilty as a mom.   Dad's don't have that kind of guilt.  I think it comes with childbirth, a baby and guilt, but I digress...

As you can see, I spoke from that couch in the picture.  It was the most comfortable I've ever been while preaching.  I highly recommend it!  I shared my journey through brain surgery and the healing the Lord did in my life almost 10 years ago.  But there is always a new chapter.  So I also focused on the past 9 months,  9 months of waiting for the Lord to redeem this journey.



He has redeemed it in showing me that this is not only my story but my family's.  My disabilities are shaping them into who He wants them to be.  That handsome guy there is a living representative of God's strength in my weakness.  I am so thankful that I have Shane to lean on as we both lean on the Lord.  God is also redeeming my calling by opening doors to minister to more missionaries and clergy members around the world more than I ever have before.  Only God can figure that out.

Is there something you've been waiting on the Lord for, waiting for His redemption in your life?  It can make it hard to focus on Thanksgiving when you are waiting.  Hard, but still important.  Do you know that our brain has a bias for bad news and stores it for safe keeping in our neural structure?  According to the book Hardwiring Happiness,  “We can still be happy, but this bias creates an ongoing vulnerability to stress, anxiety, disappointment, and hurt.”  What is the treatment for this hardwiring problem?  Regularly taking in the good.

Two good "treatments" that I have found incredibly helpful in my life:
"Seek Peace and Pursue it." Psalm 34:14
"God’s grace is sufficient for you.  His power is made perfect in your weakness." 2 Cor. 12:9


The one who created you has you.  He's got this.  He's got you.  So as you intentionally set your heart and mind on this Thanksgiving week ahead, what are you thankful for?
Write it down, and each day, read it, add to it, thanking the Lord for it all.  
Happy Thanksgiving friends!


Marty




  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts